Thursday, July 14, 2016

Potato-Corn Chowder

Do you love the feel  of hot soup going down your throat on a cold day? Then you'll love this one! I took two different soup recipes to create this one:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/southwest-potato-corn-chowder-57846.aspx
http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/09/creamy-ham-potato-corn-chowder/

The funny thing about this recipe is I like diced ham in my bowl and my husband likes bacon in his. So I prepare those separately and add them to our individual bowls. But you can add one or the other (or both) to your entire pot of soup. :)

Potato-Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

4 slices of cooked bacon*, chopped (or 1 cup diced ham)
1 1/2 lb. potatoes, cubed (about 5 potatoes)
1 small onion, chopped (or sprinkle dehydrated onions to your heart's desire)
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
3 cups milk
8 oz. processed cheese food, cubed (I use Velveeta)
10 oz. frozen corn
Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Cook on medium until potatoes are soft.

OR

1. Boil potatoes separately for 15-20 minutes.**
2. Meanwhile get everything else going on medium heat.
3. Add potatoes when they are done.
4. Ready to serve when cheese is melted (I usually let it get to a small boil before turning off the stove)

*The bacon will be soft and soggy, so if you want it crunchy, cook it and add it to each individual serving.
**I do the second option because it takes less time. The first option takes over an hour for the potatoes to soften in the milk at the same time as melting the cheese. Doing them separately is much faster. :)

Estimated calories: 387 calories per serving (about 1 cup)
Suggested sides: Dinner rolls (I LOVE Pillsbury crescent rolls)

No comments:

Post a Comment